Probate and Trust Administration
Decedents’ estates and trusts are separate legal entities administered by personal representatives and trustees respectively, subject to a fiduciary duty to their beneficiaries and creditors. Lyons | Sullivan counsels fiduciaries to properly administer these entities. We also represent beneficiaries to assert and defend their rights. At Lyons | Sullivan our goal is navigate the complex legal and tax issues involved in administering estates and trusts by:
- Probating decedents’ wills where necessary and avoiding probate where possible.
- Preparing disclaimers where appropriate.
- Resolving will contests and TEDRA actions brought by beneficiaries.
- Postmortem tax planning.
- Resolving creditor claims.
- Allocating and distributing trust assets