What happens when a Washington resident dies owning real property in one or more other states? As a Washington resident, the decedent’s Will must be probated here in Washington. That is known as the “dominant probate.” But in order to administer the real property in other states one or more “ancillary probates” must be opened in those states where the properties are located. This usually requires hiring a local attorney and providing him with a certified or even legalized copy of the Will filed with the court here in Washington. Because ancillary probate increases the expense and complexity of post-mortem administration, ownership of real property outside Washington is usually a good reason to seriously consider building your estate plan on the foundation of a revocable trust, which can avoid probate entirely.